Okay, so I’m showing off a little today. I just finished the bike sculpture, it rolled out of the shop yesterday. This project was my first commission that I’ve been working on for several weeks and I’m pretty darn proud of it.
What makes this project even better is that it’s for an old friend. Wait, that didn’t come out right, she’s not old, but I’ve known her a long time! In fact, we met through cycling. This project started with an image she sent which gave me an idea of what she was looking for (see below).
From that, I created a drawing and then converted it into a digital file, which, in turn, drove the CNC plasma cutter that cut out all the flat parts.
I used the oxy-acetylene torch to heat the tube which I bent to become the handlebar and I used an angle grinder with a “flapper” disk extensively, to smooth and shape edges and surfaces. I MIG welded all the parts together to create individual parts, like the seat, the pedal, and the wheels, and the final finished form.
If you follow this post, you know there have been a few setbacks, but I sure like how it all turned out. Paint turned out to be my biggest nemesis, I think it has about eight or ten coats on it, but it was all worth it.
I can’t wait until she sees it in person, but I’m not sure when that will be. She’s in Iowa and it’s in Colorado, so it may be a few weeks or months, but it will be a great day when she gets to hang it on the wall, and I can’t wait to see it there!